Monday, June 21, 2010

Lipstick

In the morning, we have a routine, a plan. On a *perfect* morning, Little Mister sleeps and The Pip plays by herself. Meanwhile, I blaze a trail through my check list. This day seemed like a perfect morning...little did I know.

While I was executing my Tazmanian Devil cleaning moves, I heard, bump, bump, bump and then a loud crash coming from our upstairs bedroom where Little Mister naps. I stood at the stairs and all was quiet. Since I was in a hurry to finish what I was doing, I shrugged my shoulders and decided that no noise was a good sign. I chose not to inspect. Mistake. A good parent knows that when you do not hear your children, you should be concerned. However, I was on a mission. If I could just squeeze in one more chore...

I lost track of time. A half hour later and no stirring, I decided to go upstairs. What I saw when I walked through the bedroom door caused me to gasp.

There was my sweet Little Mister covered in something red. Blood? Did he fall in the pack-n-play and bite his lip? I stared at him and he stared at me, startled. Then he broke out in a huge smile. It was after I turned on the bright light in the bedroom that I discovered the disaster.

The bump, bump, bumping was the scooting of the pack-n-play to the dry sink. On the dry sink was a basket with enticing items like lotion and various bottles. There was also a small bag that contained two of my favorite expensive lipsticks. The basket had fallen to the floor but several of the items had landed in the pack-n-play along with those two lipsticks. What fun new toys to be explored!

Lipstick. Lipstick everywhere. Lipstick dug out of its pretty tube and smeared all over the pack-n-play. Lipstick wiped on jammies. Chunky lipstick clinging to scrumptious little cheeks and oozing out of chubby fingers like soft mud. This all added up to one very satisfied baby and one not so delighted mommy.

Lesson learned.








May 2, 2010

No comments: