Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Read at Your Own Risk

It finally happened.

We made it through all 4 years of The Pip's life and 15 months of Little Mister's before it happened.

We were having a typical summer day. The kids had a wonderful afternoon of creative play in the yard and pool. We then came inside to take baths before quiet time. Nate the Great left to go pick up lunch for the two of us. Following our routine, Little Mister went first for his bath. I decided to do a little picking up while he was joyfully splashing around in the water. As I picked up and prepared things for quiet time, I frequently stopped in to check on the little guy. All was well.

I should mention that the joyful splashing followed by excited babbling should have been my first clue. What actually ended up being my first clue arrived through my sense of smell.

Oh. The. Smell.

I walked into the bathroom knowing that nothing good was going to come from what my nose picked up on. Imagine my surprise when the fun waters of bath time had turned into an unsanitary toilet bowl.

Poo everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not just the little boat floating kind but the explosive something blew up like a mad science experiment kind.

My eyes bulged as I watched my precious son slapping poo in the water as if it was a game of Whac-a-Mole. Lord have mercy!

After I quickly recovered from my shock since time was of the essence, I did what any mom of child #2 would do. I grabbed the nearest thing that would scoop poo which happened to be The Pip's cooking pot. She still does not know to this day what tragedy befell her metal pot. What I could catch went into the pot and to the toilet. What I couldn't catch went down the drain. Little Mister watched as his new playthings disappeared while I took note of what he had eaten. I will spare you the details.

I feel that is important to this story to share that Nate the Great is the champion who almost always takes on the bath time routine with the kiddos. As my luck would have it, I got the "privilege" of this first experience.

But I digress. Remember who still needs to take her bath? That someone would be mortified if she saw what had happened.

A miracle occurred that day. The Pip was too preoccupied in her room to notice the chaos in the bathroom one door away. I was spared an intense dramatic performance by The Pip.

I pack a mean bottle of disinfectant wipes around my house. As soon as the last drop went down the drain, I washed Little Mister again and set to work scrubbing the tub and toys that played in the chunky water. Bleach, how I love you so.

When all was right again, life resumed its usual routine. The Pip took her bath none the wiser, Nate the Great returned home and a very clean Little Mister fell asleep dreaming of the fun adventure he had had.

The Bathing Buddies in Better Times

3 comments:

Karen B.. said...

How funny, well, not funny for you but reading it, I can only imagine. Love, Karen B.

The Egan Family said...

Eew!! Jen, I would have given myself away with copious amounts of screaming and shouting. I could not have handled floating poo. I am impressed that you remained quiet enough not to alert The Pip! :-)

Mary said...

Wow...you're lucky you have that record! I think our first experience with the 'chunky water' was when Max was about 9 or 10 months! :)